The Gold Coast and Hinterland Branch protects wildlife and their habitats through campaigns such as:
- Save Our Spit
- Save Black Swan Lake
- hinterland protection (including protecting Springbrook)
- workshops such as nest building workshops
- public awareness/education activities, such as our annual display on World Environment Day.
We always welcome new members and members to be on the committee.
Held at The Community House, Bishoff Park, Nerang St, Nerang. Dates are available through our Branch newsletter. Join now.
Save Black Swan Lake: Update 18 August 2020
Wildlife Queensland Gold Coast Branch is working tirelessly to help preserve the last sixth of the original 2.75 hectare Black Swan Lake site, where multitudes of birds still shelter.
Following a supermajority Council vote on 29 October 2019 to retain the remainder of Black Swan Lake, news has emerged that Council is moving to infill the remaining section.
How you can help:
- Courteously, because that is our way, contact Council and the Turf Club (list below) and state you would like the Lake remainder, our property, to actually remain and, if excavation of some of the fill is needed to enlarge its capacity, that is fine.
- Write letters to the Gold Coast Bulletin (original article precis below) — it’s important to respond in media.
- Attend the Lake this Sunday, 23 August 2020, at 3/6/8 Gold Market Dr, Bundall QLD 4217, anytime from 10 am to 12 noon, using COVID safe distancing, and photographing birds, photographing your presence there and posting this on social media, news media and to the Council contacts listed.
- Meet at Council Chambers, located in HOTA at 135 Bundall Rd, Surfers Paradise QLD 4217, using COVID safe distancing at 8 am on Tuesday, 25 August 2020. Signs will be provided and we will be standing at socially distanced places to alert passing public on Council Meeting Day of this Big Mistake Lake Take Thought Bubble.
For more information, contact The Secretary, Wildlife Queensland Gold Coast Branch at email@example.com.
Wildlife Preservation Society of Qld
Gold Coast and Hinterland Branch
PO Box 895, Oxenford, QLD 4210
Black Swan Lake, Bundall, Gold Coast. Image: Amanda Little