Welcome to Wildlife Queensland Fraser Coast Branch.
The Fraser Coast Branch of the Wildlife Preservation Society of Queensland has a very long and credible history in the protection of local wildlife.
Our Branch engages members and the local community through a range of activities including:
- monthly Nature Walks
- monthly Wildlife Talks in Hervey Bay and Maryborough Libraries
- school visits and workshops.
By invitation, we have representation on the Environmental Advisory Group with Fraser Coast Regional Council. Through an agreement with the University of the Sunshine Coast, the Branch is sponsoring a university Prize which is awarded each year to the highest performing Fraser Coast student in ANM102 Endangered Animals and their Conservation.
Other Branch activities include:
- Production and publication of the quarterly 20-24 page newsletter Wambaliman (see below) in both hardcopy (grayscale) and electronic form. It includes reports of meetings and events as well as opinion pieces of members and nature notes.
- We also have a monthly Wildlife Matters column in two local newspapers.
- Our Facebook page is an active source of information and exchange of thoughts.
All these activities go towards encouraging branch members and the community to understand and appreciate the wildlife and natural places of the Fraser Coast.
Information and publications
Day/Date: Meets on the third Sunday of the month
Where: Usually at Halcro Street Community Centre, Pialba
- Sunday, 20 October 2019: AGM. Our Guest Speaker will be long-standing WPSQ member, Pam Soper OAM
- Sunday, 17 November 2019: Our Guest Speaker, WPSQ member Lesley Bradley, will give an update on turtle monitoring
- December: Christmas Break-up. Date and time TBA
Contact: President, Vanessa Elwell-Gavins
Mob: 0428 624 366
Wambaliman is a 20-24 page quarterly newsletter published by the WPSQ Fraser Coast Branch. It includes reports of meetings and events as well as opinion pieces of members and nature notes. Download the latest editions below.
- Wambaliman Spring 2019 edition
- Wambaliman Winter 2019 edition
- Wambaliman Autumn 2019 edition
- Wambaliman Summer 2018/19 edition
Wambaliman Newsletter archive
Participation in our monthly walks is free for members of Wildlife Queensland Fraser Coast in 2019. Non-members will be asked to make a $5 donation per walk. Most walks are on the first weekend of the month.
Nature in the Library Talks
This free, monthly event includes a fabulous line-up of wildlife talks. Everyone welcome.
12.00pm to 1.00pm, third Friday of the month at Hervey Bay Library
- 18 October – De-extinction, bringing back extinct frogs
- 15 November – Mary River Lungfish
12.00pm to 1.00pm, last Friday of the month at Maryborough Library
- 25 October – Quolls
- 29 November – Shorebirds