Sunshine Coast & Hinterland Inc.
© Canva NFP
Pale-headed rosella (Platycercus adscitus).
Wildlife Queensland Sunshine Coast & Hinterland Inc. was established in 1963, and was the first ‘country’ branch. Caloundra Branch, as it was originally known, was founded by Kathleen McArthur, one of the four founders of Wildlife Queensland.
Rampant development along the coastal strip and its attendant destruction of wildlife habitat has always been a major concern for the branch, which plays an active role in lobbying for the conservation and preservation of the natural environment.
What we do
- Faunawatch: Our major project Faunawatch, a community-based fauna monitoring initiative with expert scientific input, has a strong relationship with the Sunshine Coast Regional Council, and receives substantial funding from Council’s Community Partnerships Program.
- Development advice: We are a member of Stockland’s Aura Community Advisory Group, providing wildlife information to this large development south of Caloundra.
- Wildlife activities: Members develop their bird, animal, insect, and plant identifying skills on regular Faunawatch outings and Wildflower Festival walks, and participate in Council-led BushCare weeding and planting at conservation reserves.
- Annual Sunshine Coast Wildflower Festival walks: We offer guided walks in Currimundi (Kathleen McArthur) Conservation Park at Currimundi, Ben Bennett Bushland Park in Caloundra, and other locations.
- Community engagement and education:
- We participate in the World Environment Day Festival, and public events across the Coast, enjoying discussions on current issues with members of the public and other environmental groups.
- Our significant publication Piece by piece: conservation and development on the Sunshine Coast 1960-2020 by Elaine Green can be purchased from the Wildlife Queensland online shop.
- We offer an annual bursary to a University of Sunshine Coast Animal Ecology student.
- Membership and liaison with other local environment, landcare and community groups: Sunshine Coast & Hinterland Inc. works with others on common issues.
Wildflower walk with Sunshine Coast & Hinterland Inc. members.
Sunshine Coast & Hinterland Inc. information stall.
Wildlife Queensland Sunshine Coast & Hinterland Branch 2022 bursary awarded
Congratulations to Matt Mooney, a first-year PhD student at the University of Sunshine Coast, who is the successful recipient of this year’s Wildlife Queensland Sunshine Coast & Hinterland Branch bursary for his PhD study on Rainforest resilience at the frontiers of fire.
A summary of Matt’s study is available to view as a flipbook or download as a PDF.
To view the flipbook or download:
- Press the > button to start or click on the pages. ZOOM in (magnifying glass and plus sign) to make pages larger.
- Use the RIGHT and LEFT arrows to move forward or back.
- Click on the DOWNLOAD button (cloud and arrow) to download as a PDF.
Conservation Newsletter (bi-monthly)
Download our latest newsletter issues below.
- Conservation News 592 – Dec 2023 – Jan 2024
- Conservation News 591 – Oct-Nov 2023
- Conservation News 590 – Aug-Sept 2023
- Conservation News 589 – Jun-July 2023
- Conservation News 588 – Apr-May 2023
- Conservation News 587 – Feb-Mar 2023
- Conservation News 586 – Dec-Jan 2022/23
Latest branch news
On 9 September, more than 40 people joined Wildlife Queensland on the beautiful Sunshine Coast to attend the Society’s Annual General Meeting and the 60th birthday celebrations for the Sunshine Coast & Hinterland Inc. Branch. Find out what our branches have achieved this past year.
The works of author, environmentalist and Wildlife Queensland co-founder Kathleen McArthur have been reinvigorated as a whimsical historical podcast, complete with commentary and songs that give all Australians a glimpse into the past.
Community opposition to the proposed Caloundra Transport Corridor Upgrade is growing as Sunshine Coast residents become aware of the scale of the proposed road and its environmental impact.
Contact Wildlife Queensland Sunshine Coast & Hinterland Inc.
Wildlife Queensland Sunshine Coast & Hinterland Inc.
ABN 97 767 979 103
PO Box 275, Caloundra, QLD 4551