© Canva NFP
Steve Homewood, Wildlife Queensland Bayside Branch President (left), and Michael Lusis at the 2022 Indigiscapes Ecofair.
Since its formation in 1987, Wildlife Queensland Bayside Branch has been working to protect the vulnerable flora and fauna of our region and educate community members about threatened species and conservation needs.
A particular area of focus for our branch is habitat protection. We actively participate in community consultations and work with government and business groups to ensure that local development occurs in an environmentally sensitive manner.
What we do
Protecting vulnerable wildlife and habitats through:
- active involvement in campaigns to protect vital migratory shorebird feeding grounds in the wetlands next to Toondah Harbour, Moreton Bay
- bushcare, recycling, and clean-ups including the annual Clean Up Australia Day
- event displays
- lobbying all levels of government on environmental issues
- working with other community groups.
Engaging and educating community members through:
- monthly meetings featuring expert speakers on wildlife topics
- educational workshops held throughout the year
- family outings, including spotlighting, bushwalks, and birdwatching
- monthly newsletter including wildlife diary, providing information about our branch activities as well as informative articles on different aspects of wildlife and habitat.
A koala seen at GJ Walter Park near the site of the proposed Toondah Harbour Development.
Cicada Film Festival
The Cicada Film Festival (formerly the Cicada Awards) was an annual short film competition open to South East Queensland youth, up to and including 24 years of age.
Initiated by Wildlife Queensland Bayside Branch in 2011, the festival ran until 2020. Previous entries can be viewed on YouTube under ‘Cicada Film Festival’.
join our branch
Join our local branch supporters helping to protect and conserve Queensland’s at-risk species and habitats.
follow on facebook
Follow our Wildlife Queensland Bayside Branch Facebook page for upcoming branch meeting and event information.
Subscribe to our branch newsletter to receive the latest updates on our branch activities and achievements.
Download the latest editions of our newsletter below
- Branch Newsletter: June 2022 edition (pdf)
- Branch Newsletter: May 2022 edition (pdf)
- Branch Newsletter: April 2022 edition (pdf)
- Branch Newsletter: March 2022 edition (pdf)
- Branch Newsletter: February 2022 edition (pdf)
- Branch Newsletter: November 2021 edition (pdf)