15 November 2019
Our hearts go out to everyone being affected by the bushfires in Queensland and New South Wales. Thank you to the remarkable men and women currently fighting fires and helping to rescue and care for our precious wildlife.
Thank you also to the many concerned people who have contacted us asking how they can help wildlife affected by the fires.
Wildlife Queensland will not be running a Christmas Appeal this year. We feel it is more appropriate that funds go directly to where they are needed most during the current bushfire crisis.
Here’s how you can help
If you wish to donate cash directly to any of the following causes, the funds will go where they are needed instantly.
- RSPCA QLD
- Koala Rescue QLD
- Wildlife Volunteers Association Inc
- Granite Belt Wildlife Carers
- Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary
If you find injured wildlife
Wrap in a towel and place in a secure box, then call the:
- Wildcare emergency hotline on 07 5527 2444 OR the
- RSPCA hotline on 1300 264 625
Other ways to help
Wildcare Australia Inc. and Currumbin Wildlife Hospital Foundation have communicated important information about the South East Queensland bushfires and how you can help:
- Don’t enter fire-affected areas to search for wildlife – please leave this to trained personnel
- Don’t attempt to handle dangerous animals such as koalas, adult kangaroos and wallabies, snakes or bats – always call for help
- You can help your local wildlife by placing bowls of water out in various places in your backyards as we experience this incredibly dry and hot weather. They will be very grateful (make sure kitty is indoors, so you don’t provide her with an easy meal at the water bowl!).