What is the current situation on North Stradbroke Island regarding sand and mining?
In 2011 the Bligh Labor government enacted special
legislation – The North Stradbroke Island Protection and Sustainability Act 2011 – to end all heavy mineral mining on the island in 2019 and to end the silica mining in 2025. Additional legislation prevents large-scale quarrying.
Newman’s LNP government has advised a commitment to continue mining beyond 2019 – to a date yet to be determined. This will mean a further extension of the Enterprise mine lease. This would require amendments to the legislation.
To find out more about the current situation on North Stradbroke Island regarding sand and mining…read more
- What is the current situation on North Stradbroke Island regarding sand and mining? – March 2013
- State Government encourages the Shale Oil industry – February 2013
- Submission to the Queensland Gas Fields Commissioner – May 2012
- Save the Great Barrier Reef from Coal – April 2012
- Submission on guidelines for a Draft Environmental Impact Statement for the Mt Emerald Wind Farm, Herberton Range. RATCH Australian Corporation Ltd EPBC 2011/6228 to SEWPAC – March 2012
- Mt Emerald Wind Farm – Update – March 2012
- Potential blow to North Stradbroke Island – February 2012
- Proposed Wind farm at Mt Emerald, North Queensland – February 2012
- Comments on the Mt Emerald Wind Farm proposal, North Queensland – January 2012
CURRENT ISSUES AND NEWS
Conservation is on the agenda at all times, some of the current issues being pursued by Wildlife Queensland can be found in our news section.
Read the summary of recent submissions to find out about Wildlife Queensland in action.