Sunshine Coast & Hinterland Inc.
© Canva NFP
Pale-headed rosella (Platycercus adscitus).
Wildlife Queensland Sunshine Coast & Hinterland Inc. was established in 1963, and was the first ‘country’ branch. Caloundra Branch, as it was originally known, was founded by Kathleen McArthur, one of the four founders of Wildlife Queensland.
Rampant development along the coastal strip and its attendant destruction of wildlife habitat has always been a major concern for the branch, which plays an active role in lobbying for the conservation and preservation of the natural environment.
What we do
- Faunawatch: Our major project Faunawatch, a community-based fauna monitoring initiative with expert scientific input, has a strong relationship with the Sunshine Coast Regional Council, and receives substantial funding from Council’s Community Partnerships Program.
- Development advice: We are a member of Stockland’s Aura Community Advisory Group, providing wildlife information to this large development south of Caloundra.
- Wildlife activities: Members develop their bird, animal, insect, and plant identifying skills on regular Faunawatch outings and Wildflower Festival walks, and participate in Council-led BushCare weeding and planting at conservation reserves.
- Annual Sunshine Coast Wildflower Festival walks: We offer guided walks in Currimundi (Kathleen McArthur) Conservation Park at Currimundi, Ben Bennett Bushland Park in Caloundra, and other locations.
- Community engagement and education: We participate in the World Environment Day Festival, and public events across the Coast, enjoying discussions on current issues with members of the public and other environmental groups. Our significant publication Piece by piece: conservation and development on the Sunshine Coast 1960-2020 by Elaine Green can be purchased from the Wildlife Queensland online shop.
- Membership and liaison with other local environment, landcare and community groups: Sunshine Coast and Hinterland Inc. works with others on common issues.
Wildflower walk with Sunshine Coast & Hinterland Inc. members.
Sunshine Coast & Hinterland Inc. information stall.
join our branch
Join our local branch supporters helping to protect and conserve Queensland’s at-risk species and habitats.
See the Faunawatch page for details of upcoming Faunawatch activities and to access the Faunawatch Newsletter.
Branch meetings are held at 1 pm on the 3rd Wednesday of the month (not Dec) at Caloundra Power Boat Club.
Conservation Newsletter (bi-monthly)
Download our latest newsletter issues below.
Latest branch news
Community opposition to the proposed Caloundra Transport Corridor Upgrade is growing as Sunshine Coast residents become aware of the scale of the proposed road and its environmental impact.
Wildlife Queensland Sunshine Coast & Hinterland Branch has launched a parliamentary petition to counter Queensland Air Museum’s petition to expand their facility into Isabel Jordan Bushland Reserve.
Contact Wildlife Queensland Sunshine Coast & Hinterland Inc.
Wildlife Queensland Sunshine Coast & Hinterland Inc.
ABN 97 767 979 103
PO Box 275, Caloundra, QLD 4551