Read our Branch Blog
© Tourism and Events Queensland/Blink Photography
Wildlife Queensland Capricorn Branch stall.
Wildlife Queensland Capricorn Branch has been active in the Capricorn Region since 1984 and has a proud history of campaigning for the local environment.
We are dedicated to protecting, appreciating and preserving our native wildlife and habitats which are increasingly under threat from the activities of humans and from introduced feral species.
In addition to wildlife conservation and campaign activities, our focus is on educating and engaging the people of the Capricorn Region on conservation issues.
What we do
Wildlife Queensland Capricorn Branch is active in the following areas:
- We organise public events to encourage appreciation of wildlife and the natural environment, for example, talks by experts and field trips.
- We produce displays for public events and provide volunteers to answer questions from interested people.
Campaigns and submissions
- We have supported campaigns to protect the Mt. Etna limestone bat caves, The Farnborough Wetlands, The Great Barrier Reef and to stop sand-mining in the Byfield-Shoalwater Bay area.
- We follow up on issues that we think are important to our aims through research, letter writing, and submissions.
- We consult and liaise with Queensland Government Departments, The Livingstone Shire and Rockhampton Regional Councils, the Australian Army, the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, Central Queensland University, Fitzroy Basin Assoc., Queensland Transport, local primary producers, other environmental and cultural groups, and the media.
- Our branch is a co-trustee of the Duckpond Environmental Reserve, near Rockhampton. Our member Jeff Simmons has taken the lead role in maintaining the reserve for the past 15 years.
- We support tree plantings, dune restorations, organic gardening, permaculture and landcare projects run by other groups on the Capricorn Coast whose activities fit with our aims.
Twilight gilds the Duckpond Environmental Reserve, near Rockhampton.
Contact Wildlife Queensland Capricorn Branch
Wildlife Queensland Capricorn Branch
C/-PO Box 727, Yeppoon, QLD 4703
John McCabe: 0412 416649